Introductions

Home Forums From The Pack Introductions

Tagged: 

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Jay ChristiansonJay Christianson

This is a topic for all of the members on the forum to meet and greet. Check back often to see who has joined!

Participant

Thanks for the forum set up. I look forward to discussions. I spent over 20 years with trailing dogs and cross training with cadaver, water, disaster, and avalanche with my partners. I worked with CARDA in California. Currently working on a book for Trailing Dog training that includes common sense and challenges for trailing teams.

@TwoDogs – welcome; we’re optimistic that this will become a thriving community.

I guess I’ll jump in. Apart from being one of the moderators and owners of SARDog news, I am a relatively new K9 handler. Saxby is my first K9; he just turned 5. We are a Colorado COOP level 1 area and HRD team (our certs come through NASAR; we are HRD Land, HRD Water Type 1 and 2, Area 1, Trailing 3, and Article). We (along with my wife) are members of El Paso County Search and Rescue (think Pikes Peak, not Texas). I’m excited to learn and foster conversations here.

Participant

Used to do SAR. I had too many dogs die on me recently, one from a heart attack mid play, even though she’d gotten a clean physical not two weeks before–a GSD. Then my last SAR dog developed a fast-growing cancerous tumor attached to his carotid artery. When he started to have difficulty breathing and eating, it was time to say goodbye. So, well, after all that, I just quit. It was too much. Now I just try to keep my fingers to the pulse and occasionally, when asked, help others where and when I can. People are trying to get me to get another pup, but, well, it’s just too painful still. I also write, play music, and ride horseback …and I have a wonderful, supportive husband.

Participant

Good morning, I used to do SAR with NOVASAR years ago. I quit when my knees began to go. I still struggled to assist when I could, but physically with two total knee replacements and a ruptured disc in my back, all I can do is cheer everyone on who still actively participate. I turned rescuing people into rescuing senior neglected German shepherds and giving them a forever home.

Participant

Hi all; I’m a training director with Massachusetts Canine Response Team (MACRT) out in New England. Been in K9 SAR around 15 years, focused now on HR only simply because call-out needs for live find or trailing are virtually nonexistent. I’m currently running 4 dogs– but have previously certified dogs in trailing, rubble, live find area as well. Looking forward to some lively training and deployment discussions from this forum!

Participant

I come to search work through law enforcement where I started in K9s in 1979. I was the in-house trainer for my LEA for the first 20 years of its existence. I’ve never worked or trained a dog for SAR but scent is scent, and it makes no difference if it’s a lost child in the woods, or a felon fleeing capture.

I’ve taught in 22 states and three foreign countries. I’m known as a problem solver and favor the Ecollar and the Donn Yarnall Drive Training System.

Hoping to be of assistance here.

Regards, Lou

Viewing 7 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.